Monday 5 August 2013

Writing Challenges

I've decided to set myself a series of writing challenges because I'm a bit rubbish at disciplining myself when it comes to writing. The idea actually came to me when someone who's blog I follow asked for people to do a writing challenge based on the twelve signs of the Zodiac. They asked people to pick a sign (the first twelve to pick different signs are the twelve who are doing the challenge) and then write either a short story or a poem or mini-essay loosely related to that sign. I decided to do this challenge and so picked the sign Aquarius. I have a vague idea of what I'm going to write and I will post it on here when I've finished it, but the challenge gave me the idea to set myself a series of challenges to write short stories based on a variety of themes. I only have a few ideas at the moment so other ideas would be much appreciated.

My ideas so far are:
  • The Zodiac Challenge
  • To write a short story based on a memory from my childhood
  • To write a fairy tale
  • Tell a story through a fake newspaper article 
  • Write about somewhere I've visited 
I said I only had a few ideas. So I want to ask anyone who reads this to give me some other ideas. They could be themes or just a random word and I will add it to my list and challenge myself to write something based (though possibly quite loosely) on the suggestion. Either comment on this post or if you know me personally you can message me on Facebook or by email. I will try to do each suggestion within a week or two but please bear with me if it takes longer than that. I will post each challenge on this blog and I will also post on Facebook when I have completed each challenge for those of you who know me personally and are friends with me on Facebook. 

Thanks and I hope I get some suggestions from people. 

3 comments:

  1. I really recommend you look for some short story or flash fiction competitions that are themed. It's the best way to set a challenge that has some structure - it has a theme and a word count and a deadline, which all adds up to great disciplined writing practice! (And you don't have to enter at the end if you don't like what you've written).

    Take a look at somewhere like prizemagic.co.uk, txtlit.co.uk or grab a copy of Writing Magazine for some competitions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chloe. I have thought about doing writing competitions before but I either decide that I don't like the theme or I never want to send in what I write. I might have a look for some with good themes I could steal for my challenges though.

      Delete
    2. I know what you mean, though that's kind of the point - it makes you a more disciplined writer because it makes you write when you're not feeling inspired. I once entered a competition only because the theme was uninspiring and got shortlisted!

      Delete